[pianotech] ozone machines

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 16 15:23:23 PST 2009

Ryan, a few years ago there was a fire at a college involving about 20 pianos. A few that were too close to the flames and steam were discarded and about 15 were treated. I had extensive talk with Dave Shwartz (Sorry for the spelling ?) and I then decided to hire a local guy to come over and do the fumigation. We tented the pianos with plastic and we washed the cabinets with diluted "unsmoke" product. This is to neutralize the carbon particules. I then removed the actions from the pianos and we fumigated them with the same "unsmoke" stuff. It has been over 10 years ago and the pianos are not smelling like they were ever around smoke. I would recommand this route anytime.Marcel Carey, RPTSherbrooke, QCDate: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:15:16 -0800From: tunerryan at gmail.comTo: pianotech at ptg.orgSubject: [pianotech] ozone machinesThe topic about getting smoke smell out of pianos got me interested in perhaps buying an ozone machine. They vary in price a lot. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these devices. I understand they are not good to have running where people are, but I'm thinking it would be nice to be able to put one inside a piano and then wrap it up. Any ideas?
-- Ryan Sowers, RPTPuget Sound ChapterOlympia, WAwww.pianova.net