[pianotech] Advise please

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Sun Jan 18 22:41:03 PST 2009

David

When a piano is subjected to?a lot of water, it has an effect on the strings, the pin block, and the soundboard. (not to mention the dampers and action). If the insurance company will only pay to restring and repin the piano in the customer's home, I would highly recommend to the customer that they do not "sign off" on the claim for at least 3 or 4 years. They?should be able to get the insurance company to pay for subsequent damage to the piano, which was a direct result of the flooding.?

A customer of mine did that once with a piano that was in a fire. The insurance company would not pay for a new soundboard, although I recommended it. But the customer would not sign off on the claim. Less than a?year after the piano was back in?the home, several cracks appeared in the soundboard.?The insurance company wound up paying for a new board, and a new block and strings (again).

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943