[pianotech] Grand Piano Truck instalation

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 19 20:36:25 PST 2009

Hi, Paul:
	You'll probably get a  dozen different ways of installing these things.
You will need to have some way to lift the piano onto a support while you
position the truck arms under the legs one at a time.  Jansen has a "jack
in a box" which you can use to both jack up the piano and support it while
you do this.  Somehow, you have to position a support under the piano rim.
After you position the arm under the piano leg, it helps if you put a block
under the arm/leg plate to prevent the weight of the piano from springing
the rest of the piano dolly into the air as you lower the leg onto the
dolly arm.  You can use phone books, whatever, so that the space under that
leg is taken up.  It doesn't matter which leg you start with, but be aware
that you need to pre-assemble the dolly under the piano and adjust the arm
lengths to allow the dolly center plate to clear the lyre.  Don't tighten
the bolts until the last arm is in place.  I'm not a piano mover, but I've
put dollies on many pianos this way.
	Beware that many Asian pianos have legs that are not equally spaced, and
require a larger dolly than would normally be used.  Also, if the piano has
very large casters, you will need to have a different arm height.  If you
miss this point, your piano may end up too low after you remove those large
casters and mount the piano on the dolly.  Jansen has a list of the pianos
that will require an oversize dolly, and carries modified leg designs for
the big caster pianos.

	Paul McCloud
	San Diego

church piano. I emailed back requesting name of piano and length of the
grand. After 33 years of tuning I have not installed a grand piano truck.
After removing the casters and extending the adjustable arms on the piano
truck, which leg should I start with?  Thank you in advance for guiding me.

> Paul Milkie

> Get the perfect student credit card by clicking now!

http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw1e0xZ6CXmlzSxAkQRPeO79t3lL
AMT0BKtRoIoYFwIfcLFVg/