[pianotech] Grand Piano Truck instalation

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Mon Jan 19 20:58:13 PST 2009

Wim,
I agree but I guess I'm getting a bit more cautious as I approach late middle age. I did use the block of wood method with success in the past but I just feel better doing it with a crew. (It doesn't hurt that my mover is a good friend of mine)
 Just my opinion on this one.
Best wishes,
Tom --I'll bet Wim didn't shovel a foot of snow in Hawaii today---Driscoll
  Subject: Re: [pianotech] Grand Piano Truck instalation

  Tom

  The block of wood under the arm method is almost fool proof, and will prevent the other legs from going up in the air. I've installed several tucks under 9' pianos be myself, with no problem.

  Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT

  Paul,
  It ain't that simple. I've put a few on by myself with a jack system and blocks of wood between the floor and the bottom of device near the caster but the operation was risky at best. I now employ my piano movers to lift the piano off the ground whilst I (with alacrity) place the device under each leg.
  The problem is that the weight of the piano wants to lift the other two legs of the truck off the floor.

  Also resist the temptation to use church members, football players or any combination thereof. Grand pianos in the air held by people who have never lifted one with you underneath equals not good. There will undoubtedly be one hero who will jerk the thing up and throw everyone else off balance or one guy who needs a new grip.
  I'm not trying to be an alarmist here. I get everything ready before the crew arrives and they are back in the truck in 15 minutes. Just price the job to cover the cost of the help and relax.
  I think we went over this on list a few years ago and some of our compatriots may have some more input.
  Best wishes and be careful !
  Tom Driscoll

  Subject: [pianotech] Grand Piano Truck instalation

  Just received an email asking if I could install a grand piano truck on a church piano. I emailed back requesting name of piano and length of the grand. After 33 years of tuning I have not installed a grand piano truck. After removing the casters and extending the adjustable arms on the piano truck, which leg should I start with? Thank you in advance for guiding me.

  Paul Milkie