[pianotech] regulation "sweet" spot

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 20 06:12:25 PST 2009

Hello again,

I have installed new hammers on a baldwin grand and am now doing the regulation.  I have followed all recommended steps and things are going smoothly.  (This is my first full grand regulation).  I am having some trouble on a few notes not finding that "sweet" spot of let-off to drop ratio or point.  I am using a let-off rack set to baldwin spec of 1" 7/8" and have levelled the hammers for a proper blow distance.  The majority of the notes are good and behave as expected. i.e. a slow rise of hammer to a 1/16" below string strike with a 1/8" drop with that little bump (what I call the sweet spot) in the feel of the key as you play.  Granted on the good ones some of the "bumps" are stronger than others but on some it is very weak or on the bad notes it is not present at all.

The questions I have are:

1.  What should I do when I can not get the two Let off and drop to reconcile?  (good rise vs. too much drop or poor rise with that magic bump in the feel)

2.  If I get the regulation button turned so low that there is no more turn left and I am not getting good results what should I do after starting back at beginning of that notes regulation?

This action is about 30 years old and to my knowledge has never had any regulation.  Any help or suggested reading would be appreciated.  I have all Pace resources and Reblitz but recommended order of regulation is not helping with the reality of regulation problems.

Thanks again to all who help so willingly,

Steven