[pianotech] regulation "sweet" spot

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Jan 20 14:09:38 PST 2009

Hi there,

what I've found helpful when setting a good let off is to first turn the
drop screws down so as to see excessive drop.  This will help in the let
off setting.  Then turn the drop screws up for a nice drop of no more than
1/8" from let-off ( I actually like a little less than 1/8").

BTW...Have you checked rep springs yet???  I even do that first..roughly.
Too tight (or weak) of spring can give you headaches later in the fine
points of reg.  Remember that regulation moves in a circular way...getting
closer and closer to correct for that particular piano.  You may have to
move through those reg steps 2,3 or 4 times to get it right on..
especially with blow/letoff, drop and aftertouch. You may even need to
raise the blow a bit to get better letoff drop and aftertouch.  If you're
really picky (or if the customer has the money to spend)..check the
geometry of the action.

Does this help?
Paul

reggaepass at aol.com
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
01/20/2009 02:15 PM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [pianotech] regulation "sweet" spot

Steven,

If you keep turning the regulating button (for let-off) down, but let-off
is not occurring earlier in the keystroke/farther from the string, it
could be that the actual problem is that drop is set too high, "masking"
the effect of turning down the let-off button.

One of many possibilities.

Alan Eder