[pianotech] Baldwin Model E

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Jan 20 18:28:33 PST 2009

Hi Al,

Not much to tell.  Get in contact with someone that does rescaling (Ron N., Del F., and others) and they'll tell you what they need.  For each note you need note number, number of strings in the unison, speaking length, core wire diameter, wrap diameter.  Since Arledge is doing the bass strings, you pretty much just need to measure the speaking length of each plain wire note, and note if there happen to be anything other than three strings per unison.

I think that's all you really need to do.  I'm sure one of 'em will jump in and tell me if I'm wrong.  <G>

William R. Monroe

  -----

  OK William & Terry. I'll jump on this train. I've not done the treble before, some guidance here will be greatly appreciated

  Al

    Awwww c'mon, Terry.  It's probably better than using the scale from an R.  <G>

    I do tend to agree with Terry here, Al.  I believe Terry is alluding to the idea that most instruments will benefit from rescaling (Bass and Treble).  It's doesn't take much.  Yes, you do have to take measurements and such, but the cost to then have the rescaling done is nominal, and the results will likely prove well worth it.

    William R. Monroe