[pianotech] 1915 Knabe 5'4"

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 20 20:45:26 PST 2009

Paul,

Experience with a 1920's 5'3" says beware of the bass section. Closely
spaced parts, need narrower than standard shanks and hammers. Ray at
Ronsen will slice the hammers to the correct width - 14# Wurzens sounded
pretty good, too. I used Renner shanks, and had to cut down the width to
make them fit (just in the bass). I later discovered that Wally Brooks
has Abel shanks that are the right width.

hope this helps

Mike