[pianotech] Bobbling hammers and jack spring pressure?

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 21 08:49:40 PST 2009

Hi, Gregor:
    Check the damper spring tension also.  Too much tension will produce the same symptoms.  I found this while trying to diagnose a similar problem with a Chinese upright piano we were selling.
    On another American brand, their new Schwander (loop type) action had bobbling problems.  I had to increase the letoff distance a bit to reduce the problem.  I figured that the return springs were too "weak" and soft play would not be hampered if I did that.  It seems that some pianos are prone to this even when new.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego