[pianotech] Bobbling hammers and jack spring pressure?

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 22 01:11:08 PST 2009

thanx for the good ideas. But I think that all does not help. There IS aftertouch, but there is a minimal resistance that makes the player not to press the key deeper. In other words: there is a minimal resistance that hinders the jack to let off and it´s not due to aftertouch. The player could easily press the key deeper but he won´t because he feels that subtle resistance wich makes him think that the down pressing procedure is finished.

If the keybed had become deeper due to dryness then there should have been lost motion, which is not the case. And there is enough aftertouch.

Jack stop rail is not involved because the jack does not came to the let off point and therefore does not touch the stop rail.

Needling the check felt is useless because the hammer butt dances on the jack top so that check does not touch the back check. The same is true for the check distance. I tried a smaller distance but that did not help.

For a moment I thought that the damper spring is the cause. In that moment when I feel this resistance the damper lifts off further (with down pressed pedal). I.e. the pedal lifts the dampers and pressing the key deeper lifts the dampers more. I eased the damper spring and had the feeling that it helped. But it´s hard to say because it´s even hard to reproduce the bobbling. It happens only with a certain kind of playing and my trials were not allways by the same reliable power. Then I lifted the damper with pressed pedal by hand completely and the bobbling was still there. Furthermore, the bobbling is present in the treble area without dampers, too.

Concerning the hammer butt spring: if this were (too) weak this would be good, or not? If it were strong it had forced the hammer butt back to the jack top where it had danced on. Or is this a thinking failure of me?

Unfortunately the piano is in the client´s home and not in my shop. So I can´t test around again. I "fixed" it with greater let off but in the end this is not realy acceptable. I am suffering of self confidence now because I could not solve the problem and don´t even see its cause. I am in this business for 21 years and thought I know how to deal with bobbling hammers but obviously i don´t. That makes me feel bad :-(  And I can´t see the relation to the dryness in the last weeks. It´s not sure that there is such a relation but I think it´s likely. Perhaps the hammer butt gets smaller due to dryness so that the jack travels too far under the butt? In this case a thicker hammer butt felt would help. Or the dryness makes the hammer butt buckskin dry and harsh so that the jack movement is hindered? I applied talkum powder but that did not help.

Very strange

Gregor