[pianotech] Bobbling hammers and jack spring pressure?

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Jan 22 06:09:25 PST 2009

?Ron
?Good advise.
?Last year Dennis & I were involved in a school installation of several different kinds of asian pianso. Some quite nice ones.Prambergers,Kawais of several models & Yamahas. WIthout fail every one had damper springs that were excessively set to tight. The touch felt heavy & stuttered at the bottom of the stroke especially on soft blow. We weakend every damper spring set on each piano. 10 or so. The remarkable contribution to the action smoothness on each one was undeniable & indeed helpful for all round performance, as werethe tweaks in regulation, but by far the biggest contributor to the touch was? this spring issue. The damping did not suffer, the touch weight came down & no one should get carpal tunnel sysndrome any time soon
? Dale

?they will listen to you, the problem miraculously goes away - every single time. The second approach is to trash the regulation in whatever way best accommodates the idiosyncrasies of the player, so they won't have to learn to use it in a functional state. This includes weakening damper, jack, and/or hammer return springs, increasing let off, increasing key height, shortening blow distance, or any other deviation from a well regulated action you can think of that fools the operator into thinking it's fixed. My preference is that they learn to work it.?
?
The only real problem I've had with Yamaha vertical actions through the years is that the capstans tend to be too high, floating the hammer shanks off of the rail. For this, I slice the rail props and insert a small piece of bushing cloth, no glue, to prop the rail up a tad. This takes care of the immediate problem, and several years later when the butts pack down some, I can pull the shims and touch up the capstan adjustment quickly and easily.?
?
My take,?
Ron N?
?