[pianotech] Fw: Newman pics of piano

David Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 23 15:44:04 PST 2009

Jim wrote:
> Dear experts
>
> I have a customer who experienced a flood, and one of the victims was
> their Heintzman upright.
> As you can see in the pictures, the water went up about 15 inches, and
> everythin metal has begun to rust, and all wood has begun to
> disassemble itself.
>
> Would anyone recommend restoration, or should we call it a day and
> find a replacement.

Just replace it. You are talking about bridge, soundboard and string
repairs, or replacement, new bottom board, pedals and trapwork, case
sides and veneers, refinishing. Even then you dont know about long term
structural problems from the moisture and hoping the hammer felt doesnt
come unglued or the key buttons fall off. I'll bet I have seen more
flooded pianos than anyone in any other part of the country, I have
repaired a couple in the condition that yours is in, always gritting my
teeth and giving the customer written and repeated verbal notice that I
was not promising long term success.

--

--Dave

  New Orleans