[pianotech] Bobbling hammers and jack spring pressure?

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Jan 23 16:48:43 PST 2009

I tuned a U3 today with a tendency towards the bobbling hammers with the
sustain pedal on. The damper spoon was lifting the damper a little when the
key bottomed out. I simply adjusted some lost motion out of the sustain
pedal so it lifted the dampers enough to clear the spoons. The difference
was significant, much nicer to play.

I learned that adjustment technique on this list a couple of years ago. To
restate: make sure that when the damper pedal is on, the keys do not
contribute towards any lift on the dampers. This is for a vertical piano
only.

The opposite is true for a grand. On a grand when the damper pedal is on the
keys should lift the dampers slightly off the tray. Otherwise if the pedal
raises and lowers the dampers off the key when the key is depressed, the
pianist will feel it.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272