[pianotech] Bobbling hammers and jack spring pressure?

Jlmatt at aol.com Jlmatt at aol.com
Fri Jan 23 22:29:14 PST 2009

Hi, this is Jean-Luc and I'm back with my key height hypothesis.
Here is a possible scenario: sometime in a recent past a  technician noticed
the bobbling hammers and saw there was a lot of lost  motion. He concluded
that was the problem because that is often  the case so he raised the capstans.
It helped a little but not quite  enough so he raised them a little more and
now the butts are riding on the  jacks. It helped a little more but not
completely and now the jacks do not  escape, it feels that there is no let off. You
adjust the let off way early now  it kind of works but feels weird because the
jacks are still too high.
So I'm back with my idea, try it on one key see if it works: lower the
capstan, add some paper punching to raise the key a little and reajust your
let-off and lost motion.
I never contribute to this list but I really think I'm on to something this
time.
Good luck
JL

In a message dated 1/23/2009 5:24:05 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,