[pianotech] Estonia

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jan 24 07:51:14 PST 2009

> No sage advice on how to deal with difficult pianos?????????????????????

Hi Les,
Deal with it or pass? I have maybe a half dozen pianos in my
steady clientèle that have abusively tight pins, where I
torque the pitch way past where I want it before the bottom of
the pins move in the block. It's worst at the beginning, when
I'm trying to set a temperament. It usually costs me an extra
ten minutes going back and forth over the temperament
repeatedly until I'm satisfied with it. By the time I've tuned
the middle strings (strip muter am I) in the center section,
I've adapted to the feel of the pins and the rest of the
tuning goes reasonably well unless there are string rendering
problems as well. It's a pain in the southern coast, and a
real physical workout, but it shouldn't take a whole lot more
time than an easier tuning does just from tight pins.
Rendering problems and false beats are something else.

No dodge, no work around, no magic hammer. I just crunch the
things as best I can with my lone universal hammer like
anything else.
Ron N