[pianotech] Big Deal!

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Jan 25 00:58:40 PST 2009

At 16:59 -0600 14/1/09, Paul T Williams wrote:

>What does that mean? Ê"check action trichord"? ÊWhat a weird thing
>to put on the pinblock! Êcheck it all!! (whatever that entails....)

It's not on the pinblock but on the underside of the top front half,
so that the salesman could open the top and demonstrate to the
customer that this model was distinguished from the common commercial
pianos in three important ways.  It has a full cast metal frame as
opposed to the common wooden frame with just an iron hitch-plate; it
has trichords throughout the plain wire section, unlike the cheap
pianos with  bichords all the way through or trichords just in the
top section; and it has the superior tape check action and not the
not the dreadful old sticker action.  These were, and still are,
important selling points, and the press would have made the public
aware that these were the things to look out for when buying a piano.

Nowadays if a car has 4 valves per cylinder it has 16V or 24V stuck
on the back in shiny letters to show off, not because most people
have a clue what it means but because the press have told them it's
better.  I think a Skoda with three cylinders and two valves per
cylinder and doesn't advertise the fact to the world.

JD