[pianotech] Diaphragmizing

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Jan 25 08:47:52 PST 2009

??? Dave
?? I had another thought about this. The Patent on this is 1936 sih. I've replaced boards from the middle 30s' that were supposed to be in this time crossover time ?frame and they showed evidence of thinning however?many panels from the 1920s?show evidence?of thinning as well.
??? I believe part of the diaphramizing patent was a portion of the rim in the curve that was?elevated a bit so the board would not need to be pushed down as far during glue up. The idea was less stress or restriction on the soundboard. If my memory serves it sounds like they just thru diamprmizing into the mix although I think they were practicing this for a while in some manner. Of course...things evolve. They had some very good Bellyman in the factory during the 20's and from experience perhaps they cam to a conclusion as to the efficacy of thinning
?? I find most evidence of it behind the bass bridge & around the tail but also adjacent to the very top of the treble bridge there is a definite slope. The slope does not reach out toward the bridge very far. This slope, if not there, would allow the plate to sit?partially or potentially on the soundboard?instead of the dowells. Looks like a clearance issue
? Dale