[pianotech] Diaphragmizing

Michael Spreeman m_spreeman at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 25 09:12:51 PST 2009

David,

Paul H. Bilhuber patented the diaphragmatic board in 1936 for Steinway. To my knowledge, they still do it. I don't have enough knowledge of RC&S boards to comment on the virtues of thinning.  When rebuilding, I played with thinning and not thinning on CC boards and found thinning advantageous. I thin the boards on both our models as you describe. On the advise of a colleague, I carried the thinning up through the treble curve on the new 275 we're building (I'll let you know how it works out).  The idea being that although the treble should be stiffer, it still needs to move and have good "spring effect". Our 275 board is 10mm and I thin to around 6mm.  The 220 board is 8mm and I thin to around 5mm in the bass corner with good results. We don't thin on the cut-off bar area. Fazioli does a similar thinning process with a 10mm panel being thinned to 6mm. At Steingraeber, they put fine sand on the bellied board and thin areas where the sand collects while pounding on the board. This is reminiscent of the era of "soundboard sculpting" where techs were thinning only specific areas of the board (based somehow on "sound", but I don't know the specifics) as opposed to a general smooth taper.

I would also enjoy hearing theories from Del Fandrich, Ron Overs, Nick Gravagne and other "heavy weights".   Any takers??
          Michael  Spreeman www.RavenscroftPianos.com