[pianotech] Player Query

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Mon Jan 26 12:33:57 PST 2009

Hi John,

A well-made Baltic Birch plywood is an excellent material, and a
pleasure to work with.  I just wanted to throw out a caution that you
should get BB from a reputable dealer, because there is unfortunately
some truly horrible quality "baltic" birch plywood from China (I'm not
knocking chinese products in general, just this one) on the market
that is prone to warping, and even more unsettling, to delaminating
severely.  This cheap BB has shown up occasionally at some Home Depot
stores, among other places (although some HD stores have apparently
carried high quality stuff  at some times/locations).  If you don't
already have a trusted supplier in mind, I would ask a local
cabinetmaker for a dealer recommendation (or even for some scraps!).
If that is not feasible, I've had good success with the BB carried by
Rockler and Woodcraft, though both are fairly expensive, and I only
use them when I'm out of stock on a weekend and am willing to pay a
premium price for the convenience....

Joe DeFazio
Blitzburgh