[pianotech] Estonia pianos

David Renaud drjazzca at yahoo.ca
Tue Jan 27 10:17:41 PST 2009

Hello Marcel

    The piano in question is new.

     Spent some time doing research online and the company states it
only makes a handful of hand build pianos per year. Exporting only
300 last year.

     The website makes the following claims:
-----------------------
Rated above Yamaha C and Boston pianos in 4th edition of the "PIANO BOOK" by L. Fine
Completely handcrafted in year long process
German Renner action, Abel hammers, Roslau strings, Kluge keyboard, Delignit pinblock
World's finest soundboard timbre
ESTONIA grands are considered by many to be the best kept piano secret today. Famous for their rich, singing tone and their exceptionally responsive touch and feel, they have rightfully earned their place among the world's finest hand-built pianos.
-------------------------------

      So I am curious. If anyone on the list had satisfying results
voicing an Estonia. The above cut and paste says they use "Abel hammers"
this one has Renner Blue hammers.

      This piano sounds dead to me. I can get a pretty quiet tone
but anything to bring it up gets quite ugly fast. Plucking strings at various points along the length I use to confirm what a piano belly naturally wants to do without the action and strings getting in the way.
Sometimes plucking at closer to the termination gives more harmonic and
nearer the middle of the string more fundemental. Plucking this Estonia
gives the same basic tone no matter where I pluck the string. Does not
seem to naturally give much "snarl" or "core" to the "center of the sound"
(sorry bout the language but I'm a woodwind player).

      I am hoping someone with experience with the new Estonia can relate
information related to the sound, vocing, concept, limits, etc. for
negociating tone with these instruments.

                                       Cheers
                                       Dave Renaud