[pianotech] Best Way To Fix Loose Pins?

Greg Livingston pianotuner440 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 28 07:50:37 PST 2009

I'm asking this of my more experienced colleagues. A good customer and friend has a '30s Mason & Hamlin grand with a few really loose pins.  At this time, she can't consider an overhaul, so what would be the best plan for me?

-bigger pins?  (wouldn't that spread cracks wider?)
-bang the pins in deeper? (only adds a little more grabbing area)
-sandpaper sleeve?  (the least invasive, I think)
-CA? (don't like it, since I spilled it once and glued my toolbox to the floor of my car; besides, I never liked Pintite)

Your advice is gratefully appreciated.

Gregory P. Livingston, Piano Tuning and Service
781-237-9178
Piano Technicians Guild, associate member (Boston chapter)

* * * Always remember September 11, 2001
* * *