[pianotech] Best Way To Fix Loose Pins?

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Jan 28 08:14:26 PST 2009

CA, Greg,

Just use a little more caution.  <G>   Very quick, very easy, very effective.  It's safest to pull the action and line the cavity with newspaper or the like, in case it runs through.  However, you don't need to pour it in.  Try a few drops (3-6) on the offensive pins and see what that does.  A second treatment can help (a few days later) but again, only a little bit is necessary, IME.

William R. Monroe

  SNIP

  I'm asking this of my more experienced colleagues. A good customer and friend has a '30s Mason & Hamlin grand with a few really loose pins.  At this time, she can't consider an overhaul, so what would be the best plan for me?

  Gregory P. Livingston