[pianotech] very old pianos

Jim jim at jimkinnear.com
Thu Jan 29 05:56:19 PST 2009

Marc;

I couldn't agree more!

I was beginning to think I was outside the box because I have lots of
customers with ancient pianos . . .  granted, they're not concert quality,
but they function well, sound good, and look OK . . .  for many of my
customers, like the old blues song says . .
" if I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all . . "
If they didn't have this piano, that I keep 'alive', they wouldn't have any
piano,
and generally are not in the wealth bracket to just pop out and get a new
one.

Given the current state of the economy, I think we will see more and more
'repairing' and less 'replacing' in many aspects of our lives . . perhaps an
angle we should emphasize . .
After all, how many families have something 100 years old that still works
!!

And the way things are going, that may apply to us as well, as the boomers
get older,
and the average BB net worth is around $50,000 . .  not a great retirement
scenario.

On the other side of the coin, it is important to be honest with people, and
if their
beautiful old piano is beyond repair, or not cost effective, it's ethical to
tell them.

I had a customer with a 124 year old english familt piano that was trash
inside, but had
a wonderful cabinet, and she wanted to keep it for more than a photo shelf.
So we put a Yamaha keyboard in it for her.
Might sound like heresy, but the customer was thrilled. ( see pix )

cheers
Jim Kinnear
www.pianoguy.com
705-446-8745