[pianotech] Tax Question

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Jan 29 06:45:39 PST 2009

John Formsma wrote:
> You can't. I asked my accountant that some years ago.  Donated items,
> yes.

Donated items are tangible assets. IRS likes to be able to grab things...

Donated service work, no.

> If this is different, let me know.
>
> --
> JF

I think that, if you bill the charitable entity, >>GET PAID!<< and THEN
write them a check for the "discount" you will have a charitable
deduction available to the amount of YOUR check. BUT, you HAVE to show
the paper trail of your payments.

If you bill and they don't ever pay you it would come under "bad debts".
Different ball of wax.

If you bill for the discounted amount, that is all that is income. Any
amount discounted is very kind of you, but the IRS didn't see any cash
flow and will disallow it as a deduction.

My 1.1¢.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076