[pianotech] Tax Question

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Jan 29 08:32:07 PST 2009

Robert Scott wrote:
> Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:
>> I think that, if you bill the charitable entity, >>GET PAID!<< and
>> THEN write them a check for the "discount" you will have a charitable
>> deduction available to the amount of YOUR check. BUT, you HAVE to show
>> the paper trail of your payments.
>
> There is no tax advantage to getting paid and then donating that payment back to the charity.  It comes out the same as just doing the work for nothing.  If you want to do some charity work, just do it and don't bill for it.  There is no legal way to get the ISR to pay you back for your sweat.
>
> Robert Scott
> Ypsilanti, Michigan

Right. Not in your schedule C, no.  The only possible deduction for that
payment to the charity would show up in your regular 1040 under itemized
deductions and lower your overall taxable income (if you're not like me
and have to file the standardized deduction).

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076