[pianotech] FW: laminated ribs again

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 09:10:32 PST 2009

Well yes and no.  The circle radius is constant so the 'high point', or full
height of the rib can be placed anywhere in proximity to the bridge by
tapering the bottom of the rib shorter on one side and longer on the other.
The only place this is really an issue is in the high treble (assuming a
bass cutoff is installed) where the bridge moves closer to the belly rail
relative to the inner rim on the bent side.  Here you can keep the rib at
full height under the bridge (or at least closer to the bridge) by
shortening the taper on the belly rail side and lengthening it on the bent
side.  I've done that on most of the boards that I've done without any
problem--or perceived benefit if the truth be known.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com