[pianotech] very old pianos

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Thu Jan 29 10:59:08 PST 2009

There is a difference between doing $500 worth of work on a piano that is still in decent condition, (even if it's only worth $200,) and doing $500 worth of work on a piano that will still not be playable after the work is done.

This is what I say in my book; "As it states in the PTG Code of Ethics, we have to keep the best interest of the client in mind. In other words, we need to look at a piano for what it can do for the customer. We need to look beyond our supposed capabilities, thinking we can fix anything, and ask, “is this piano really worth fixing?” We need to be able to say to our customers, “this piano is dead,” regardless of what the customer thinks of the piano. The customer might not like what you said, but it is more ethical to tell the truth, than let the customer continue to believe the instrument is worth restoring."

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943