[pianotech] Ahlstrom --- Piano

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 11:34:52 PST 2009

Hi Jack,You've jarred some long sleeping memory cells! Way back when I was
"thinking about" a career in piano technology(1974-75?), my next door
neighbors left their Ahlstrom upright piano in front of their apartment
building (sans top front panel). After confirming it was "free for the
taking", I gathered a few friends to haul it up several steps into my
apartment. I had it for about 5 years, and moved it several times as I moved
around University Circle (Cleveland).
When I "got serious", and attended Robert Perkins' piano technology school
on the west side of Cleveland, I spent many hours at it, toiling away at the
basics.
Philistine that I was at the time, my frustration with "interference" from
the auxiliary strings singing away in the high treble, led me to remove
those strings. I passed it on to some friends when I moved back East (1979).
Patrick Draine