[pianotech] Red light on Humidistate.

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Jan 31 18:56:00 PST 2009

I've had three of these bars fail this year, and I haven't seen 3 fail in
the previous 15 years. I don't know why.

Yes, always use the plastic sleeve. You can even use it on the older systems
that use clamps with pop rivets. Since you can't remove the bar to slide the
sleeve over it you have to get creative. Just take your scissors and slit
the sleeve its entire length. Now you can drape the sleeve over the bar. If
the low water warning sensor is the snap on variety, snap it off first, then
snap it back on over the draped sleeve. If the sensor is the variety that
uses a riveted clamp, just cut a notch in the sleeve so it will fit on
either side of it. Then drape the pads over the draped sleeve. It works
perfect and will save that bar from getting corroded.

The sleeves are cheap (about $3/dz) but you have to order them separate from
the pads as they don't ship nearly enough in the case of pads. Get yourself
4 dozen and be done with it for awhile.

Here is another tip: If you buy the pads by the case, and everyone should,
those pads are about 36" long. They are long enough for the ancient style of
vertical tank. The old style vertical tank (not ancient but pre-universal)
only needs 2/3 of that length. So if you cut off 1/3 for the old grand
tanks, you have enough left for the pre-universal vertical tanks.

You need 2 pads each of the following lengths:
For ancient vertical: the entire strip
For old vertical (pre-universal): 2/3 of the strip (instructions say use
entire strip)
For old grand: 1/3 of strip (instructions say use 1/2 of strip)
For new universal tank: 1/2 of strip

Using these measurements will get you a few more installations for each case
of pads (as compared to the instructions) which means more money in your
pocket. You don't need to be very precise, either. Just get them close and
they work. 1/3 of the strip just happens to be about the length of my
scissors which is what I use to eyeball it.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802