[pianotech] re. Voicing Client

Keith McGavern kam544 at allegiance.tv
Thu Jul 2 16:58:46 MDT 2009

Ed, List,

The remarkable saga in this wonderful publication is practically
beyond belief, especially in light of all the extreme attempts made to
re-find/re-discover that singular moment she experienced in the
showroom when the piano was first played. Another remarkable reality
is the great lengths the dealer went to help Ms Knize search for the
missing link that she so willingly spent the money she did, and
originally had no intentions of spending near that amount from the
beginning.

What I prize most in the reading of this book, Grand Obession, was the
simple truth that sometimes, maybe more than any of us would ever be
willing to admit, that the most elementary aspect of this piano
profession, tuning, can easily be the most correcting course of
action, whereas the extent of operations performed in this book to
resolve her dilemma became a sideshow of seemingly unending efforts,
even though these efforts were performed by some of the piano
industries' finest and with the sincerest of intentions.

I was once coined a minimalist by our colleage from Norway, Ric
Brekne. I wasn't certain how to respond at that time. I had to look up
the meaning to better understand the meaning of such a word. I
determined it to mean someone who doesn't do anything further than is
absolutely necessary. After reading this book. I now have no problem
with being called a minimalist when it comes to resolving what needs
to be done when working on someone else's piano. I intend to stick to
the basics when at all possible until they prove absolutely fruitless,
and only then move into the next level of potential resolution.

Sincerely,

Keith