[pianotech] Freight Damage to New Piano

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 4 07:14:59 MDT 2009

Hi, Robert:
    It's difficult to see some of the damage in the photos.  Trying to capture this kind of damage on a black high gloss piano is very difficult, as I have tried to do it myself.  Not that your photos are bad, but the subtleties are hard to see.
    If the scuff marks are the problem, they will need to be sanded out, and then buffed back to the original gloss, using finer and finer grits of paper (wet/dry type) using water.  Then buffng with special compounds with a buffing machine.  If there are chipped areas, they will have to be filled with polyester, levelled, sanded and buffed.  Any "dents" or large areas (bigger than a quarter) that are more than very slightly dented, are going to be hard to deal with because they may require filling of a large area.  Sanding large areas becomes a problem because you have to maintain perfect level with the rest of the finish somehow.  Polyester is a tough material, and doesn't sand readily.  Even though the finish usually is much thicker than lacquer, if an edge is crushed, the surface of the top and bottom is now expanded, and if you sand it level, the polyester will sand through.  A slight dent is sometimes to be ignored, as often a repair done will look worse than the damage itself.  Even a very comptetent repair can be seen where old material meets the new, but if you aren't looking for it, it will disappear.  Polyester work is somewhat tricky.
    I wish I could see this up close and personal.  From what I can see, it's do-able.  You have to have the right person do the work with the right materials and techniques.  Most touchup repair people won't know how to do it, as most finishes are lacquer, not polyester.  Poly is a whole differnt animal.
    Good luck.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego, California
    USA