[pianotech] Chisel Planes and Tool Junkies

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Jul 5 07:14:38 MDT 2009

HI Joe:

Thanks for your observations.  I looked at the Lee Valley Chisel plane, but
was not interested for several reasons.  First, not all of the mass will be
under your hand.  Secondly, the front portion of the plane is not removable
as it is on many rabbet planes, which converts them to a chisel plane.
Thirdly, if I can get a rabbet plane (obviously I can, from my list) that
would be a better choice.

One of the attractions of a rabbet plane is its convertibility to the chisel
plane, meaning that you can purchase two tools for the price of one.
Whether that chisel plane is as good as the other candidates on this list
remains an open question.

I value your comments on the mass of the tool, that is definitely a
consideration for me, and one in favor of the Lee Valley Bronze chisel
plane, and the #90 Stanley Bullnose Rabbet Plane at 1 Lb 4 oz.    I have
found that a beefier chisel is superior for bridge notching, no matter what
the level of sharpness.   Particularly, with the rising and falling grain we
encounter on bridge cap maple.

The sharpening is an absolute necessity agreed, but a non-issue.  It’s a
given for me.  I have a Makita motorized sharpening system with 1000 grit
waterstone to rough things in,  a number of Japanese water stones up to 8000
grit, and a flattening plate.  I flatten my backs and sharpen both sides of
the blade.  I can admire my handsome visage in the mirror finish when I am
done.   My Japanese chisels  with laminated blades will leave a burnished
surface after notching.

I would not use the miniature chisel plane as a primary tool.  But it might
be a useful tool for some things like beveling a bass bridge and general use
in the shop.  I’ve used a Japanese miniature plane to plane down shims
(although I still hate shimming).

As for the curved plane, I do know some other rebuilders who use such a tool
for bearing.  Your concern about being able to see the bottom when finally
planing down the bridge is met by rubbing chalk or graphite into the
depression as you do, and planing down until the color just goes away.  At
that stage, I would probably be using a sharp scraper.   I think you would
actually be able to see the thread contacting the surface better, since the
opening is broader.  Moving the thread side to side a little bit will find
the bottom.

Much thanks again for your thoughts.

Will