[pianotech] Freight Damage to New Piano

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 5 13:56:52 MDT 2009

Robert and all,

Large piano dealerships often have contractors who are very experienced
in polyester repair - since new pianos often get "dinged" on trucks and
in showrooms but still have to look perfect when they are put on sale
and after delivery. I watched very good results achieved by such experts
both here in San Francisco and back in Boston when I lived and worked
there. All three of these fellows  had been sent for specialized
polyester finish repair training by these dealers, and were able to
restore extensively damaged polyester rims and panels to like-new
appearance. So if there is a major-brand new piano dealer in your
vicinity, you should contact them for a referral - they may just have
such a polyester repair person as a steady contractor.

The caveat is that this is painstaking, time-consuming work and is quite
expensive. So it may be cheaper to order replacement parts from the
manufacturer. If this is an insurance claim, you should price both
options -and submit the cheaper one to the insurance company, and
perhaps cite the more expensive one for comparison purposes (insurance
company bureaucrats like to have that sort of information on estimates
for covering cover their rear ends on "due diligence".)

Israel Stein