[pianotech] Interesting action on Yamaha YUA

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 15:59:18 MDT 2009

Hello all,

A 1983 Yamaha YUA (52" upright) just arrived this past week. It is an
intriguing piano. It has the radial bracing in the back, agraffs in the bass
and tenor sections, and an action that I have not seen before. It lacks the
traditional hammer return springs and instead has an unusual set of return
springs attached to the player side of the damper stop rail. The springs are
flat, about 1/8" wide and do not engage the hammer butt until the hammer is
about 5/8ths or so from the strings.

When the hammer is in check, the spring has very little pressure on the butt
and the hammer is close to its balance point. The result is when the key is
slowly released the hammer rises slightly out of check like you expect in a
grand action. The repetition is very good, and it trills very nicely. It
feels lighter, due to the fact that there is no hammer spring resistance at
the beginning of the key stroke.

Hopefully the picture will help this make sense.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this style of
action?

Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter
Olympia, WA