[pianotech] Restoring Crown to Undamaged Soundboard

Roy roy.peters at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 6 06:46:12 MDT 2009

A few years ago, Ron Overs posted pictures of a procedure to laminate the ribs from the bottom.  It basically involved planing down the ribs, and then gluing on a layer of wood.   I forget whether the strips he glued on were crowned, or if he forced crown into the board. Maybe he can explain.  But the basic idea was to laminate crown into the rib.  This seems to me like the only realistic route to be able to re-crown an old board....by converting it from compression crowned to rib crowned. It seems like the hard part would be to get the ribs sanded flat enough to be able to get a good glue joint, because the beams are in the way.  I haven't tried it, so I can't say how effective it would be.  It's one of those things that I've had in the back of my mind to try when the right situation comes along.

Roy Peters