[pianotech] Stage Piano Lift

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 6 17:32:42 MDT 2009

This sort of thing was done, a lot, in 1930-40 musical movies! I've seen two versions: 1: a hydraulic scissors jack was used. This one would not lower completely to floor level, for obvious reasons. 2: a Hydraulic car hoist was installed below the floor level and was operated with the "rocker" style up/down air fixture that automotive shops have for this purpose. There are companies that install these. I'd suggest making the whole thing 'inlet' into the floor so that the lift floor will be part of the main floor when lowered. Or, part of the stage when raised. Lotsa luck. It's doable.
Respectfully,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I