[pianotech] Vertical Touchweight

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Mon Jul 6 22:38:44 MDT 2009

Hi David,

I meant that the change in the front punchings alone made a huge difference
to the feel of the piano.  I installed the Crescendo straights, which is
what Jurgen Goering recommended to me for an upright piano.  The first work
I did, other than some very preliminary hammer shaping, was on the
keyboard -- reconditioning, lubricating and regulating key height, level and
dip.  It was not until I got to setting the dip that I began substituting in
the new front rail punchings, so I was able to get a very clear "before and
after" evaluation as I worked my way up the keyboard.

Mark Cramer has suggested to me that a crisp escapement and a firm landing
work together to give a precise sense of aftertouch.  This project has given
me some insight into what that means under the fingers, even though the
postential for a feel of crisp escapement in this instrument is somewhat
limited.

Floyd

David said:

Floyd, your mention of the Crescendo punchings used on an upright is
interesting - I've wondered myself if it would make much difference; the
mentions on here seem to have been in relation only to grands.

When you said "what a difference!" did you mean specifically from the
Crescendo punchings, or from all the other bits too that you mentioned?