[pianotech] Quick Question - New Type Steinway Lyre and Leg Attachment

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Tue Jul 7 08:48:02 MDT 2009

Mark:

>From the picture, I can't see what the use of the Allen wrench might be.
How do these actually lock together? Or just let me know the appropriate SS
bulletin to reference. Thanks.

Paul

In a message dated 7/7/2009 7:03:03 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
pianotech at nhpianos.com writes:

Joe -  here's a pic from a recent S&S technical bulletin. The tool needed
is an  8mm or 5/16" Allen wrench.

- Mark

Joe DeFazio  wrote:

I stopped at a hall tonight very briefly to  look at a rental S&S B that
was just moved in for some upcoming  concerts.  Regulation is a disaster.  I
immediately noticed that  one of the lyre support sticks was not installed
properly by the piano  movers (it was just hanging there).  I also noticed
that the legs  attach via the new S&S method (as of the last couple of years).
I  have not worked on the legs or lyres of any of these new-style S&S
grands before.

My question is:  besides the fact that the lyre  is locked in place by two
screws instead of a cam, is there any difference  in the lyre attachment
system as compared to the traditional S&S  lyre?  In other words, is it just
sliding-dovetailed metal plates that  slide forward (towards the performer) to
dismount, or is it some new-fangled  contraption?   Yes, for the record, I
like new-fangled  contraptions.  I like excellently engineered old-fangled
contraptions,  too.

I will have barely enough time to take care of some serious  regulation
problems tomorrow between rehearsals, so if anyone can save me  even a few
minutes of fussing around during that brief and inadequate time,  I would
appreciate it.  I would normally not ask a question of the list  that I could
figure out on my own, but in this instance, I won't have any  figuring time.  I
also hate to go hurriedly whacking on piano parts  with a mallet if, in
fact, they weren't designed to be whacked.  A  piano is not a perky plastic
mole.

Thanks,

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh

P.S. -  I have absolutely no reason to take the  legs off, but if anyone
wants to remind me and the list how the new leg  mounting system works, I bet
I'm not the only list member who read about it  some time ago and forgot it
since....

Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585089x1201462806/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=66807
2&hmpgID=62&bcd=JulyExcfooterNO62)