[pianotech] Interesting action on Yamaha YUA

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 7 17:40:40 MDT 2009

Ryan-

As you play more and more softly, every action reaches a failure point where the response becomes erratic, so there is a limit on how quietly you can play dependably. Alexander and I are wondering if this action is different from a standard Yamaha vertical action in this respect. Perhaps it repeats faster at a cost of less pianissimo response range?

The purpose of weights in the back of vertical keys is usually to get the key back down so that the jack can reset. If you add keyweight to increase touchweight, you are pumping lead that doesn't do anything to the overall action response. If you add a small amount of weight to the hammer, it will increase the dynamic touch of the piano, and perhaps improve the sound as well, even thoughj the static downweight will still measure low.

Ed