[pianotech] S&S "P" style 45" upright?

jim ialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 07:32:13 MDT 2009

I have an "heirloom" S&S 45" P style upright(1940) in the shop for work paid
for by a "last will and testament" of all things. (an ideal
customer...croaked...low warranty exposure)

Keyboard and action restoration is straightforward.

I'm leaning towards not touching the belly at all, although it has some
issues. With a restored, well regulated action and new well voiced hammers
it should sound just fine for what it is.

However, I would consider some belly work if I can come up with a way to
modify the front termination of the top 2 sections to make this easier to
tune.

As I understand it, the top 2 pressure bars form a relatively low
termination angle, creating somewhat of a duplex up there (ugh!). One
suggestion is to actually increase the friction at the pressure bar by
grinding the pressure bar feet down a bit.

Has anybody had any experience/success with taming these things, tuning
wise?

Jim
--
grandpianosolutions.com (under construction)
Shirley, MA  (978) 425-9026