[pianotech] Player repair

Larry Fisher RPT larryf at pacifier.com
Sat Jul 11 06:46:29 MDT 2009

Player repairs vary like crazy.  A total rebuild is well past the market
value of the piano.  They've become less of a novelty to own.  Typical total
rebuilds are in the neighborhood of $4000 for starters and could be more if
it's a reproducer (Ampico, Duo-art, Recordo, Welte Mignon, to name a few)

It used to be you could simply recover all the pneumatics and it would play
again.  It's advised to get all the valves rebuilt as well.

If you're lucky, and the mechanism still works fairly well, maybe a simple
repair like replacing some bad tubing here and there would fix the player
but the odds are against you.

To do this requires parts.

And then there's the fact that the best player piano part supplier on the
planet just passed and his knowledge and supplies past with him.  I haven't
heard if anyone picked up his supply house parts or not but the building he
was in was sold and is being considered for other purposes.

Long story short, the process of rebuilding a player piano took a major hit
when Durrell passed and so I'm not even considering any such work anymore
even if the piano owner has the money.

Lar

"was wondering if i could get an estimate on the repair of a player
mechanism for an upright player piano from the 20's "