[pianotech] key leveling

AAA Piano Works, LLC aaapianoworks at verizon.net
Sat Jul 11 13:40:06 MDT 2009

Fantastic info!

I appreciate it very much!

You going to the convention?

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Ryan Sowers
Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:43 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: [pianotech] key leveling

Here is some info that I posted on Pianoworld technician forum a little
while back:

About 10 years ago I bought Carl Meyers Key-leveling device which is now
sold through Joe Goss at Mother Goose tools.

It looks like this:

<http://www.mothergoosetools.com/other_tools/images_other_tools/key_level_wh
t.jpg>

It does not have a crown. I always level my keyboards without any crown. In
the instructions that come with the key leveling device it is recommended to
drill a hole under the end keys and temporarily install a capstan screw so
you can finely adjust the position of the straight edge.

I got tired of doing that, so years ago I came up with this little device
which is a combination of a similar tool recommended by Bill Spurlock but
with a capstan instead of a regular screw. We gave a bunch of these away at
a Pacific NW conference quite a few year ago:

  <http://www.pianova.net/media2/keylevelsupport.jpg>

This gives firm support and allows very fine adjustment of the straight
edge. I don't use it for sharps because I prefer the Jarras gauge.

Another technique I discovered that has become invaluable for fine leveling
of keys is to mark the balance rail punchings with a dot or small line at
the 6 O'clock position this will keep you from rotating them while taking
them in and out, or when vacuuming. I have found this to be a real time
saver, especially on old pianos where the felt is compressed on one side
more than the other. Once you mark them you will be surprised out how easy
it is to rotate them from the original position. If you think you don't
rotate them during leveling - I urge you to try this, I guarantee you will
be surprised at how much they move.

Another important technique for stability is to make sure the punchings are
settled. I usually just whack on the backs of the keys with my hand.

I have found over the years that I can only get so accurate with a full
straight edge. After 2 passes with the keyboard length tool, I go to a 2
octave length tool. I always finish off with careful use of my fingers. I'm
always amazed at how my fingers will catch things that my eyes couldn't.

Also I have found that you can't over-emphasize the importance of proper
squaring of the keys. Firm keybushings are important for accurate work.

I like using this little tool that was yet another Bill Spurlock idea. It
fits in a combination handle and has a dimple on the end so it doesn't slip
off the balance rail pin. It also doubles as a coil winder for putting for
pre-coiling piano wire when doing string repairs.

  <http://www.pianova.net/media2/keysquaringtool.JPG>

I made it with a piece of 1/4" brass round. It's about 2" long. I drilled a
dimple in one end, and then chucked it in the drill press and used a file to
taper one end. I used a dremmel tool and cut-off wheel to make the
combination tool end. I then drilled a small hole to accept music wire for
pre-coiling.

 Again, I can't get as accurate a result as I like with just a straight
edge. My fingers are very good at feeling if one side of the key feel a
little higher than the other relative to its neighbors.

Accurate squaring can be hard to do if the keys aren't fairly level however.
So I usually follow this protocol: set up long straight edge, square keys,
space keys, and then 2 leveling passes. Switch to shorter straight edge and
make another pass.

At this point, I will continue moving through the regulation of the blow
distance and capstans. this will often have an effect on the key level.

I then set up long straight edge again and recheck squaring and spacing.
Check leveling once again with long straight edge. Check again with short
straight edge. The last pass is done all with my fingers which is the
ultimate judge. It is not unusual for me to make some minor adjustments here
and there with the thinnest paper punchings during the rest of the
regulation.

Another little tip: I don't remove thinnest punchings to bring a key down a
slight amount. I prefer to shave a tiny bit of wood off the bottom of the
key. I use a razor blade and give the key a few strokes on the bottom. I
find this faster, and more stable then messing with the punchings at this
point. One of the places I got this idea from was watching a video of key
leveling in the Yamaha factory. They actually had a belt sander by the piano
and the tech would stick the key on the sander for a moment to lower the
key.

Trying to get a perfect key level at the beginning of a regulation is a
waste of time! I only shoot for 75-85 percent accuracy the first time
through the regulation. Just like a pitch raise, being overly fussy at the
beginning is futile. Wait until the very end to do your finest tweaking with
the tissue thin punchings, and always be willing to keep tweaking the
squaring based on look and feel.

Ryan Sowers, RPT
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, Washington