[pianotech] Balance rail bushings

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jul 12 06:09:07 MDT 2009

Gregor _ wrote:
> Getting the old bushings out: I used to use steam, but I heard from
> collegues that it´s much easier and quicker to use ethyl alcohol
> (spiritus). Never tried that myself. But they say that subsequent
> steaming is not necessary. The felt will just dissolve from the wood.

Try that with Titebond installed bushings.

> Installing the new felt: thread the felt thorugh the slot between key
> and key button and push it with a needle from the key balance hole
> upwards. I apply a thin layer of TiteBond to the felt that is sidewise
> of the key button and pull the felt from above. I use clamps and no
> cauls. Look here for these clamps in the catalog (item no. 42.05.00).

I was instructed to do it this way 35 years ago, and
discovered immediately just how miserable those clamps are. As
soon as I could, I made my first set of cauls from aluminum,
like the 42.05.10, only not double ended. They weren't
available anywhere I was aware of, so making them was my only
choice. Still using them, and the other sets I've bought since.

> http://www.pianoteile.com/kataloge/pdf/Werkzeugkatalog.pdf

So what's the 40.00.00 with the big teeth on page 2.09? Looks
lethal, but interesting.
Ron N