[pianotech] Hammers for Baldwin Concert grand

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Jul 13 08:13:34 MDT 2009

Hi Scott,

Last summer I installed Ronsen Wurzen hammers on our 1956 Baldwin D.  I
wish I had tried these hammers first on a non-performance piano having
never worked with them.  I got raving reviews from other techs on the caut
list, so I decided to try it.  I'm still not happy with the tone.  It's a
bit weak yet, but I need to get the action out and lacquer under the crown
area just above the moulding (by tipping the action on its' sides to apply
it) I just haven't had the opportunity to have a few days in a row to work
on it....I'm sure it will improve once I do this.

This summer I used Wally Brook's special concert grand Naturals on one of
our Steinway D's and got fabulous results and reviews from students and
faculty.  I've installed many sets of Naturals, and took Wally's all day
seminar,  so I'm better versed in how to treat these.

Either brand is probably good for your piano.

Best of luck

Paul

Scott Rogers <freebird1982 at gmail.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
07/12/2009 09:57 AM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

PianoTech <pianotech at ptg.org>, caut at ptg.org
cc

Subject
[pianotech] Hammers for Baldwin Concert grand

I'd like to get  opinions/preferences for hammers to use on 1966 Baldwin
concert grand. It will be located in a small recital hall. The last 2
Baldwin CG's I've used Renner, and Abel special press from Pianotek. Had
really good results with the Abels with only having to use small amounts
of lacquer.
I'm especially curious about the Wurzen and Weikerts.
Thanks all,
Scott Rogers RPT