[pianotech] Front rail pin extraction

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Tue Jul 14 07:51:26 MDT 2009

Hi Court,

I have a tool that's great for removing balance rail pins.  It's a plastic
rivet installer:

http://www.princessauto.com/tools/automotive-tools/autobody/8216939-plastic-
riveter-set?keyword=plastic+rivet
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97757

The one I purchased from Princess Auto will not quite fit over the front
rail pins, but there might be some that will. You could phone around to see
if a similar tool is available locally, then take a front rail pin with you
and go check it out.  Or maybe some creative soul will figure out a
modification to make this tool do the job.

I ran into a keyframe on a Doherty upright where the bottoms of the front
rail pins protude past the bottom of the frame,  in this case a hammer
became a useful tool for getting the movement of the pins started.  Even if
the pins are not protruding, if the rail is drilled all the way through, a
hammer and punch (with adequate support rigged up for the frame itself)
might be the tools of choice.

Pianotek sells the Sterner Key Pin Puller.  It is specifically designed for
the job you are describing.

http://pianoteksupply.com/assets/pdf/tools/keyrepairregulation.pdf

I wish you all the best on this project.

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter