[pianotech] Spurlock jig

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 14 17:37:16 MDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Richard <richard.ucci at att.net> wrote:

>  Hi Mike, the shelf can be adjusted up and down and pitch also.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>

> Hi Richard,

I just went and looked and you're right however I've never needed to move
it since the hammer line should be straight, section by section and the
shelf, I'm talking about the shelf the hammer tails rest on after the hammer
is hung, would remain level in order for your shanks to be so. Assuming all
of the hammers, section by section, were bored with the same amount of
hammer tail measurement from the center of the bore. I prefer 1" whenever
possible. I bore my own hammers and have rarely had to hang a set with less
than a 1" tail
Gluing in this fashion after they're hung and you're regulating and setting
your hammerline the shanks will vary in height slightly, abeit
uniformly, due to the increasing size of the hammers from treble to bass.
Since they were hung by section and if I recall correctly no more than
about 30 hammers will fit on the jig at a time, comfortably. The difference
in shank height is negligible.

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404