[pianotech] Bridle Strap Replacement

Duaine & Laura Hechler dahechler at att.net
Fri Jul 17 17:09:53 MDT 2009

Matthew Todd wrote:
> I will doing a bridle strap job next week.
>
> When I have been doing these, I would take the action home and
> return it the next day.  Really the only reason I have been doing that
> is because I would rather not do the job in the customers home on the
> floor, sometimes with bad lighting.
>
> What kind of things do ya'll do to do this job, and others, in the
> customers home?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ***_TODD PIANO WORKS_*
> Matthew Todd, Piano Technician
> (979) 248-9578
> http://www.toddpianoworks.com <http://www.toddpianoworks.com/>

If I have never worked on the piano before, I always take the action
home to do items like this. In these cases, I pad the cost a smidgen to
do a courtesy action checkover - tighten screws, make sure no parts are
broken, flanges aren't splitting, make sure the jacks are not loose, etc

And I do something similar with tunings. The first time customer, I do a
quick check for loose parts - hammers moving left / right, look for
loose jacks, etc Then inform the customer and bill accordingly.

In the mainframe computer world, we called this PM or Preventative
Maintenance.

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years