[pianotech] New hammers

Escapement escapement at comcast.net
Fri Jul 17 17:34:01 MDT 2009

Hi Richard, I was befuddled too, just a short month ago when I replaced my
first set of hammers with a new set from Brooks.  I removed the 'x' hammers
for the time being while I checked/ compared the rake on what remained
against the old hammers.  I was worried too that I might mess the rake up if
I didn't get it right.  (My 'x's were the first in the tenor and the very
last hammer).  After checking how the new hammers fit and looked, and after
I was confident they'd work well, I numbered them (mine weren't numbered
either).

It all worked out wonderfully in the end.  I hung every other since it was
my first time.  It was slow, meticulous work, but in the end, I have to say,
I couldn't have been happier with the results.  I used the Abel Encore
Natural Felts and the customer agrees, they sound phenomenal (on a 1925
Mason & Hamlin Mod. A).

Good luck and I don't know if it's your first time or not, but if so, feel
free to email me and I'll happily share my experience,

Gary