[pianotech] Key Bushing Job

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Mon Jul 20 23:12:11 MDT 2009

Hi Matthew,

You will not regret the purchase of the key clamps.  Great tools!

I have taken a length of dowel and inserted a front rail pin into one end
and a balance rail pin into the other.  It's useful for getting a
preliminary idea of where the bushings are at once the cauls are out.

I purchased the key easing iron (soldering iron based) from Pianotek, with
the tapered tips.  I find it an invaluable tool in the rebushing/refitting
process, allowing me to work quickly and effectively at the keyboard as I'm
reinstalling the keys.

Make sure you attend to polishing the keypins and lubricating the
keypin/bushing interface.  I use Flitz and Prolube.  I see some techs also
apply powdered teflon to the bushings.  Maybe I should be doing that too.

Have fun!

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter