[pianotech] Favorite Piano Recordings

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Tue Jul 21 14:48:06 MDT 2009

Hi Rob:

Since I believe the intent of the those recommending that you listen to
piano recordings is to get you to listen to the VOICE of the piano as part
of the fabric of MUSIC, I will offer some recommendations.

Because  we live in the land of Steinway, I will offer you the following
recording as an example of an exceptionally well voiced Steinway.   Listen
to "The Magic of Satie", by Jean-Yves Thibaudet (Decca 289 470 290-2)..  The
piano absolutely drips with color and texture, with a sound like burnished
gold.  I believe the piano was voiced by Ulrich Gerhard, the great London
Steinway technician.   This instrument definitely falls into the "piano to
die for" category.

Also, "Credo", by Helene Grimaud; "Bach Partitas Nos. 1, 3, & 6" by Richarde
Goode; and "Shubert Piano Sonatas D.958, 959, 960" by Murray Perahia.

And just about anything by Arthur Rubenstein.

Why Joni Mitchell, David?  I've been told she only plays the black keys!  J

Will Truitt